06 August 2019

Getting a SIM

Finally, I got myself a SIM card in New Delhi. My friend told me to get a Jio SIM. However, after several failed attempt, I relented and bought an Airtel SIM instead. I was told that Jio SIM can only be used by the local or whoever holding an Indian ID. Strange. Besides, in order to buy a SIM, one, including the local, needs to fill in a request form and submit a photocopy of your passport and photo to the vendor. It would normally take a few hours, if not days, before you can use it as the vendor needs to submit your request online for activation. India is really a fan of paperwork.
Airtel SIM
Call me, anyone?
In fact, I have been trying to get one since arriving in Bodhgaya but to no avail. I have been told earlier that it is not easy for foreigners to get one. However, my initial plan is to get it after coming back to India from Nepal. If I bought one now or earlier, it would have expired by the time I come back to India. But then it is cheap and yet so useful. Arghhh….why I didn’t get one in Kolkata?


Note: An Airtel SIM (28-days validity; 1.4 GB data/day) costs Rs 275 at any Airtel outlet. It would cost double if you buy randomly on the street.

No comments: