11 August 2019

What's Wrong With Me?

Did I tell you I left my long-sought base layer in the guesthouse in Sangla? I hung it inside a wooden cabinet which I didn’t-know-why closed it before leaving. I usually don’t commit such carelessness no matter I’m on the road or off the road. What’s wrong with me?
Sangla, Aug'19
Luckily, it is Sangla where I left my base layer as I would need to backtrack there after visiting Chitkul. And the guesthouse is located at a mere 200-m away from the Sangla bus stand. I think I still can go back and retrieve. Probably the bus driver could spare me 5 minutes while I rush to retrieve it. Or worst case, I could spend a night at Sangla for the sake of the base layer. I don’t want to continue on the road without a base layer which is an essential item to me. I feel insecure especially when I’m about to venture to the Himalaya region where harsh and punishing weather awaits.

There is only one road hanging precariously on the cliff of mountain zigzagging along Baspa valley where the remote yet intriguing Kinnauri villages of Sangla, Batseri, Rakcham, Chitkul, etc. are located.
Daring the cliff-ledge road 
The truth is I was rushing to catch the 2.30pm bus to Chitkul coming from Rekong Peo which will only stop by Sangla to take and/or drop passengers. P and I were only visiting the ancient Kamru Fort located high on the village at noon. The time was so short that we had to rush despite all the discouraging uphill steps leading to the fort. By the time I got back to the guesthouse, it was already 2.20pm and I still need to retrieve my laundry hung on roof top. Having said that, I still managed to get to the bus stand 1 minute earlier before the bus had its brief stop. However, P wasn’t there yet. I had to force the bus driver to spare us 5 minutes followed by another 5 minutes while pretending to ignore all the impatient faces staring on me on the bus. They must have been wondering what this weird foreigner was trying to do. Anyway, both of us managed to hop on the bus eventually and led our way to Chitkul – the last Indian village, well, before Tibet. Had we not boarding the bus, we could have to spend another night at Sangla.
Kamru fort
Guess what? If that is happening, I probably won’t be leaving my base layer behind and you won’t be sitting there listening to my nag. Hahaha…

No comments: