03 August 2019

Social Media, On the Road

Finally, I got myself an Instagram account, well, not trying to act young or up to the flow but to stay connected with fellow travelers I met on the road. Despite being owned by Facebook, I think Instagram has superseded Facebook as the most widely used social media networking service in the world, at least for now.
Is this instagramable? Lol
Back in the old days, I used to carry a note book (not a netbook but a real book) on the road as a way to keep contacts with fellow travellers I met, in addition to recording all my idea or thoughts on the road. By watching the note book full of email addresses of different handwriting followed by sending updates via the email using the computer in the guesthouse which usually charged hourly is such a nostalgia to behold. A friend of mine even found my email address written on a travel guidebook which was left in Varanasi.

Back in On the Road 1.0 and On the Road 2.0, social media had been gaining much popularity and what we exchanged on the road was Facebook which we did it on the spot and on the line. Smart phone was still not common back then and many backpackers like me used to carry a netbook, yes, a small-sized laptop, on the road. Writing and updating blog was still common back then to the extent that it has become the source of useful information on the road. This is especially true among European-American travellers who are the pioneer of backpacking. They never stop to impress, if not inspire, me with their whole bunches of creative, if not crazy, idea of travelling around the world.

When it comes to On the Road 3.0 now, I think Instagram is the calling shot. Almost every traveller I met on the road would ask “Let me have your Instagram.” I always smiled in ashamed “I don’t have an Instagram.” Instagram, to its feature I guess means, every photo or video sharing is done in an instant manner, literally. To the sorry of all, I found that Instagram just doesn’t suit my style. Call me old-fashioned or old school then.

Anyway, I still prefer to write on my blog. Be slow but thoughtful.

No comments: