13 July 2019

On the Road 3.0

After N years of who knows what I have been doing, here I am, on the road, again. I have been inundated with lavish wishes and envy which I find myself clueless to cope with. Strangely, I’m not excited. I’m not really looking forward to this as expected. While two is better than one, one is not worse than two.

Comparing with On the Road 1.0 and On the Road 2.0, I won’t say I’m better-equipped this time. However, I’m definitely well-prepared, if not over-prepared. Who know what the reason is, I find myself scrutinizing almost every single item and detail, from sorting out what items are essential, what to pack, what medication to bring, what kind of vaccination to take, what kind of travel insurance to buy to what kind of mindset to set, trying to optimize everything towards perfection. I must have been sick. Hahaha.
Packing for On the Road 3.0
While there is similarly no rush and no pressure this time, I know there is a time frame that I can’t ignore. Unlike On the Road 1.0 and On the Road 2.0 where there were no time frame and I wandered anywhere I like and anytime I want, I know where I will be going and what I will be doing this time. Apparently, this discounts the joy of being impromptu.

Things changed. Smart phone has led many things to retirement, from compass, GPS, paper map, watch, camera, netbook to messaging, emerging as the top one essential item in our travel bucket. It is definitely the giant killer. Having said that, I have left many group chats. I prefer to stay off the grid, like I used to be. I can’t be certain if I’m kind of enjoying it or I’m just getting used to it. Whether this is the pursuit of freedom or merely an act of escapism, I guess I don’t want to care. Anyway, I just want to concentrate on my life on the road, like I used to be. Yes, like I used to be.

Bon Voyage.

No comments: