26 July 2019

A Long Haul

People and traveller-alike have been advising me against taking a bus to Varanasi. Varanasi is not far from Bodhgaya. It is just approximately 250 km away. I was told, if not warned, that it would normally take 6-7 hours by bus compared to train which would take half of that duration.

And I’m still going by bus. Some more it is a local bus.

As a matter of fact, I’m aware that it could be too much on a 7-hour ride for a mere 250 km. I don’t have a choice. Contrary to the information I received claiming there are dozens of trains leaving to Varanasi, there is only one direct train from Gaya to Varanasi. Even if I’m willing to board the train at 5am, I still can’t make it as the ticket was sold out. Another afternoon train which would cost me Rs 220 for a sleeper class train or Rs 580 on a 3AC would only bring me as far as Mughal Sarai which is another 15 km or so to Varanasi. I usually don’t prefer this arrangement. I think I will most likely be ripped off by taxi drivers or tuk-tuk alike upon arriving Mughal Sarai which I have no clue where it is.

Not wanting to give up, I approached another ticket seller after returning to the town square on foot. He wanted Rs 400 for a sleeper class train and Rs 1130 for a 3AC, allegedly Tatkal ticket. It can’t be after only one round everything becomes Tatkal and the fare has been doubled. Something is not right. Again, trust your gut feel.

So, it is a bus. It’s gonna be a long ride tomorrow. Let’s see how bad I will get. Wish me good luck.

No comments: